Summer Memo #2
School starts up again next Wednesday, the 6th. I’d like to wish everyone a warm welcome back and tell all the new families how excited I am to have them joining us. We’re looking forward to a wonderful year.
A few reminders are in order for the first week:
Pick-up and drop-off
- Doors open at 7:30 every day; kids have to be in their homerooms at 7:55 or they’re tardy. (If a bus is late the kids aren’t held responsible.)
- School buses use the circle around the flag pole from 7:30-8:10 and 1:45-2:15, and they can’t be interfered with. Kids may be dropped off in the circle but it’s strictly a drop-and-drive-away scenario. If you need to park longer than a few seconds to drop off a student, park in the provided spaces in the lot to the south of the pole. In no case leave your car unattended in the circle during these times. Don’t worry – I’ll be there to direct traffic.
- Parents may walk their children to homeroom the first day of school only, with these exceptions: Kindergarten kids may be walked to homeroom for the first week; Pre-K kids are walked to their class all year.
- Children are picked up at the glass doors at the other end of the sidewalk from the main doors (again, I’ll be there the first day to direct you). Parents must enter the building to pick up their kids – we don’t send kids out to the cars. Please be here to take your children at 2:00, not 2:15 or 2:30.Pre-K pick-up is at 12:00 sharp. Park and enter through the main doors – no buses to worry about.
- We need copies of drivers’ licenses for anyone who will be picking up children. If we don’t have a copy of yours yet, please bring it Wednesday morning or Thursday night.
- 7th-12th grade Supply List correction: I’d like to clarify the type of lined paper students should be bringing in. It should be loose-leaf and 3-hole punched. Paper that must be pulled out of a perforated book creates a mess (we call it the white plague). However, the supply list was not clear about that, so if you’ve already purchased the perforated kind and can’t return it, don’t worry about it. If possible, though, loose-leaf is preferred.
- Gym classes begin on Thursday. Please be sure that kids have appropriate footwear for gym – athletic shoes of some type. No open toes, hard soles, flip-flops, etc.
- There is no hot lunch the first week – it starts up next Wednesday, 9/13. I’ll send you the first month’s menu and order form tomorrow.
- Please put Parent Orientation on your calendar: Thursday, 9/7, the day after school starts. At least one parent is required to attend, and no kids should be present. Child care will be provided for children up to age eight.
6:00 – First-year parents
6:45 – All parents
7:15 – Optional – meet with your teachers in their classrooms
- As always we are in need of volunteers to help with lunch monitoring. If you can commit to 90 minutes once a week, please contact me.
- All medical paperwork needs to be in our hands by Friday, 9/29. Otherwise NYS law does not permit a student to continue attending school.
8/31 Teacher Workshop
9/4 Labor Day
9/6 First day of school
9/7 First gym day
9/7 Parent Orientation
9/13 First hot lunch day
10/3 School picture day
10/6 Parent/Teacher conferences (no school)
10/9 Columbus Day (no school)